Thursday, January 6, 2011

Challenging Tuesday

Yes, Tuesday was challenging in mind and spirit, but it is because of my faith in God and my positive energy that I was able to get through it emotionally unscathed. So, something a lot of people don't know about me it that I have a five year old daughter that not only has ADHD, but has recently been diagnosed with being bipolar.

She has been on a generic form of Ritalin as well as an antidepressant. I had decided a month ago to take her off her meds to see if my young child truly needs these medications. This past Tuesday, she was sent to the principals office because she was running out of her classroom. She was then left unsupervised long enough to climb on a chair and fall off of it injuring herself. It was then suggested by the principal that perhaps Loralai is not ready for school just yet and that she should return in the fall.

I was very upset. Was this principal kicking my daughter out because of her behavior? Could they do that? Well, I got in touch with and agency that serves as advocated for parents with children who have special needs. I am so fortune to have been able to be helped from these knowledgeable individuals. They informed me that yes, Loralai does have the right to go to school and no, she should not be sent home till the fall due to her behavior. They also advised that I write a letter to her principal stating just that. So I did.

Again, I thank God and my choice to have a positive attitude even in stressful situations to get me through the "tough times". My hope is that I will be able to carry on with this type of mental state. I wonder if this is the metamorphosis of a clueless girl perhaps becoming a more wise girl?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

She might be having withdrawals from the meds, too..google searches will show you all of the symptoms..a lot of times after being on the drugs for awhile the drugs actually start to work against you. And/or the side effects of the medication are worse than the original symptoms previous to drug treatment...and then the withdrawals can feel like life is ending...she might need 6 mos. to a year to even out and get back to where her body/mind is truly at. People close to me have had these experiences many times when trying med's.

I don't envy your situation, hon, I'm sorry you're having to go through this. But, it will only make you stronger..and puts you in a position to help others who are going through this..

Loves!